Officers

Notes from the Rapier Championship

On Saturday last (May 24) we were entertained by a rapier tournament, during which we chose Don François Henri Guyon to replace Lord Clement as our Rapier Champion for the next year.

We were joined by Their Highnesses Elizabeth and Cornelius, as well as a goodly number of our populace, and several newcomers. Several people did a wonderful job talking to passers-by about what we were up to in the park, which is much to be commended.

Two courts were held during the afternoon. New Officers were publicly announced, being Lord Gabriel van Dorne (Hospitaller, with thanks to Countess Liadan who preceded him), Lady Iseldis (Chirurgeon) and Lord Fionghuine (Lists).

Sophia van Dorne was thanked for her exemplary service as A&S Officer, and Lady Anne de Tournais was announced as Acting in this position, as Sophia’s replacement is not currently able to take up the office.

The Baroness and sundry others jumped merrily into a Leaf Pile which appeared on the tourney field.

Mistress Isobel retired from the Baronial Retinue.

Baroness Alesia also retired, being replaced by Sir Ysambart Courtin as Sergeant of our Guard.

Jack Argent and Saffiya swore homage and became members of the retinue. Saffiya has the title of Cup-bearer, while Jack is Lord-in-Waiting.

Lord Ben the Undecided received a Burly Griffin for service, and Lord Owen of Torlyon received one for his prowess on the fencing field.

Lord Lorccan Ruadh was the victor of the tournament, following two rounds of tie-breaking melee between the four top contenders.

The day was fine and the company excellent. The gingerbread was also excellent. We thank Lord Clement as steward of the event, and all those who helped him make the afternoon so enjoyable. We look forward to seeing everyone next time!

By baroness | Events, Officers | Tagged: , , , , , , , , | Link

Baronial Meeting

Baronial monthly meeting is scheduled for this Sunday, May 4th, between 2 and 3pm at the Ainslie Scout Hall, cnr Ebden and Hassall Street, Ainslie.

Officers who are unable to attend are asked to provide the Seneschal with a brief update.

There will be important info on how we need to manage event financials, so stewards for upcoming events may want to attend, or make sure to check the minutes when available.

Sorry for the late notice! We are all trying to keep meetings regular and well advertised, but Festival happened. Hopefully, from June we will be back on track for meeting on the second Sunday each month.

By baroness | Officers, Seneschal | Tagged: , , | Link

Baronial Meeting This Sunday at 2pm

Good evening,

a reminder that the Baronial meeting will run between 2 and 3pm on Sunday afternoon at the Ainslie Scout Hall on Ebden/Hassall Streets.  Hall usage, fundraising, officer duties and newcomers groups are due to report back with proposals for final reporting as well as standard officer updates.

Posted on behalf of Seymon, Seneschal

By politnews | Officers, Seneschal | Tagged: , , | Link

A&S updates – new classes!

Banner in progress

Banner in progress

 

Firstly, this weeks class on Burgundian Fashion has been cancelled due to the teacher having a clash of schedules. Due to this, we will be working on silk banners instead for the barony. If you would like to be involved, please come along, it’s free for engine to join in! Otherwise, there will be plenty of space for personal projects. If anyone has any 1m by 1m silk frames they could bring along, that would be grand.

The weekend we have two surprise session being held!

Sunday – 12noon – Tunics 101
Going to border war in a few weeks? Need extra tunics for festival? Just need some garb? Libby is going to be teaching a class on Tunic creation. We’ll have sewing machines available, all you need to bring is 5m of fabric (Lincraft has a 50% off fabric sale at the moment, look for home spun cotton as a cheap option) and some matching coloured thread.

Sunday – 3pm – Brewing for festival with Rurik.

One of the aims of the Lochac Brewers guild is to enhance individuals experience of the SCA through beverages. As such in the lead up to festival I am going to be running two brewing days on  at Sunday gathering so that people can learn some basic brewing skills, have a product to take home and ferment it for festival.

The first of these sessions will be on Sunday at The Ainslie Hall and we shall be making HYDROMEL AS I MADE IT WEAK FOR THE QUEEN MOTHER from Digby. This is a small hydromel (a variation of mead) that is about 2% ABV with strong over tones of ginger. It is a refreshing drink that is suitable for festival as a day drink.

The cost for the class is free. However four people (will be able to take home a cube (22.5L or about 25 long necks) of must (unfermented wine) to ferment and bottle/keg at home for the cost of $17. To do this people will need to bring a container suitable for transporting 22.5l of hot must home in.

Next weeks class session on Wednesday is empty so far, would people like a hood making session before Festival?

Any questions, please let me know. Ideas for a class? Give me a buzz :)

Manda

Making stuff!

Making stuff!

By politnews | Arts & Sciences, Officers | Link

Announcing: The Great Arts and Sciences Surprise Round Robin, 2014

Hello all!

I’m sure everyone in the Barony has been eagerly awaiting the announcement of a new A&S competition!

Wait no longer! Behold, The Great Politarchopolis Gift Bestowal of 2014! Everyone who was involved in the Pentathlon worked insanely hard last year, so I thought we might be due for something a little lighter and less intense. This year, I will be running what is essentially a A&S Competition based around the concept of a Round Robin of gift making and giving.

The Competition:
– Registrations are open as of now to join in.
– The enter you must send me your Name (legal and SCA) and period of interest. You may also choose to send me your geographic area of interest and 3 topics of interest. As an example you could include France (Music, Hats and Books). The more information that you give, the more likely it is that you will receive something useful to you.
– On the 2nd of Feb, I will draw people randomly from a hat and you will be assigned your target.
– You will also be given a category; Fashion & Accessories, Household Items, Warfare, Food or Entertainment
– Make an item to give to your target! You will also need documentation for the competition side of things.
– Items will be judged at the August A&S Event, where the gifts will also be distributed to their receivers. There will be a winner of each category and also a voted on populace favourite.

FAQ (so far)

  • Does it need to stay secret?

No, it’s up to you whether you want to remain secret. It may be an item which you couldn’t create without talking to them. Or this may be a chance to talk to someone and get to know them better before sorting out what you want to make. It’s entirely up to you. You can be as sneaky as you want to be. Publicly sharing your journey is highly encouraged through blogs, Facebook, emails, messenger pigeon or whatever takes your fancy. If you want to be sneaky, start a new blog site anonymously and then flaunt your progress through it while your target tries to work out who you are!

  • Can I swap my target or category with someone else?

Of course! Try to do it as soon as possible to make certain everyone has a chance of getting something completed. All I ask is that to remember that sometimes challenges are awesome

  • What happens if I can’t finish it (due to life/responsibilities/crazed sloth attack)?

Please don’t fret! Life happens and that is understandable. If you could provide a small gift for your target (gift voucher, something already completed, hoard, IOU, bottle of wine etc), that would be great. If not, I will try and organise a substitute. Please just let me know ASAP so that I can work out a solution and make certain everyone gets something shiny.

  • What does this cost?

Please limit the spending on your item to an upper amount of $50. Trades, up cycling and creative thinking are highly encouraged for your materials. This is about creating something awesome for another lovely person, so the idea is to put in as much effort as you would like someone to put into you. Items which also carry a story as to how they were completed are an added bonus for the recipient. As an example ‘The fabric came from my stash which I bought in Germany, and the buttons were a gift to me from the Queen…’

  • I don’t live in Politarchopolis

No problem! I’m not really limiting it to just Canberra as there are plenty of Polit people living in all sorts of interesting places. However, I would ask that everyone who is involved to have at least some connection to our fair barony. Also, please be mindful of how you will get your gift to Fields of Gold and how the giver can get their gift to you. There are plenty of options on how to do this, but just consider this before entering.

  • How will this be judged?

There will be five judges, a specialist for each category. Judging will use the standard matrix. There will also be a populace choice winner, which will be voted on at the August A&S event.

  • When will I know the results?

As soon as the judges finish judging

  • What if I can’t be there at the hall for the Draw?

That’s okay, at the end I will draw the rest of the people and send through the results via what every form of communication you find the easiest.

– What if I can’t make it to the August A&S event?
That’s okay, but you will need to get your gift delivered there for the judges. If you start to get worried, let me know and we will work out a plan together on how to get it there.

  • My target wasn’t at the August A&S event, how do I get their gift to them?

That’s okay! Contact the target and try and nut out a plan on how to get it there. Teamwork is the name of the game!

  • My target lives in America and I’m going to carve a 4 poster bed!

Please think about the realism on how you might get peoples items to them. If you find yourself thinking ‘Wow! I have no idea how to get this there’, it may be a project that is a little too big for a distance thing.

  • My gift never arrived!

Well that’s not very nice, in fact I think we could even use the word Grinch. The gift giver should have spoken to me before it got to this point, but I will be doing a tally and call around at the end to make sure everything goes alright. If, failing that, there is a gift missing I can’t guarantee that I will find a replacement person but I will try my best!

  • My target dropped out!

Bollocks! This could mean two things. I could be contacting you to see if you would consider doing something to cover someone else or it could happen right at the end. If it’s to cover someone else, it’s okay to say no and continue what you are working on but it would be awesome if you could help. It’s up to you. In all cases, you can either give the person the gift anyhow, give it someone else, keep it, sell it, donate it, auction it, throw it, it’s entirely up to you.

– What do the winners receive?
The satisfaction of knowing that they made something awesome, made another person smile and a shiny gift from someone else

Any questions? Please send them through! If you can see any concerning problems with this, please give me a yell

By politnews | Arts & Sciences, Officers | Link

A&S Classes Start 15 January 2014

Hello everyone!

Who feels like some awesome A&S classes and projects?

Firstly, there are projects lined up for Sundays but there will still be plenty of room for anyone that wants to grab some space and work on a personal project! Come join us, there is tea, coffee and occasionally more talented people then I bring cakes.

Secondly, A&S will be running Wednesdays at the Ainslie Hall from 7.30pm till 9pm. This is awesome! Tea and coffee will be available, some of us will probably be ordering food to come to the hall and if you have already eaten that is fine as well. If you are interested in running a class, please get in touch with me ASAP, the beginning of the year is starting to fill up quickly!

Thirdly, you may notice that there are no times filled in for after the 16th of Feb. With a possible change to what times we will have access to the hall, I am listing these classes but I won’t be able to give an exact time until the baronial meeting.

Also, if there is a type of class you would like to see run, let me know! It’s a lot easier to organise classes if I have an idea of things that people want to learn about!

So, without further ado!
……..
Silk Banners – Kicking off on the 12th of January at 12 noon. This will be running every Sunday for the next 4 weeks, hopefully to have them ready by Border War. For the first weekend we will be designing and drawing up our cartoons for the banners. Come along, learn some new skills, participate in a big baronial project and have fun with awesome people! Even if painting isn’t your thing, there is a list of other things that will need to be worked on as well.

Wednesday 15th January, 7.30pm – Basic twisted wire rings, hosted by Manda Swadling. The Baronial coffers are lacking in the taxes that they deserve! I will be bringing beads, wire and some tools so that we can fill the Baronial box with lovely twisted wire rings. If you have a pair of long pliers, or red and white beads that you would like to add to the collection, please bring them along.

Wednesday 22nd January, 7.30pm – Tassels and finger loop braiding, hosted by Manda Swadling and Tim Liersch. The Baronial coffers are lacking in the taxes that they deserve! I will be bringing lots of cotton so that we can make so lovely bits for the Baronial box.

Wednesday 29th January, 7.30pm – How to run lists, including a practical presentation, hosted by Shona Klocke. Ever wanted to learn how to run a list for a tourney? Very handy skill to learn for all those who enjoy taking the field and for those interested in participating without the bruises!

Wednesday 5th February, 7.30pm – Voice Heraldry 101, hosted by Micheal Stankiewicz. Voice heraldry can seem intimidating at first, but this session will guide you through not only voice heraldry but also through some basic public speaking tips. How to tackle those hard names, voice projection and how to get the populaces attention!

Wednesday 12th February, 7.30pm – Ladies Burgundian Fashion, hosted by Wendy Weber. More details to come!

Wednesday 26th February – Simple steps to improve event photography, hosted by Manda Swadling. Want to take amazing photos at events? The probability is that you already have been, you just need a few extra tips on how to make your photos really shine. This is a very straight forwards class, anyone with any type of camera can learn these very simple steps. I’ll also cover some basic camera buying tips for those looking to change cameras.

Wednesday 19th of March – Intro to black work styles and stitches, hosted by Naomi Lea – More detail to come!

March 5th – Easy potluck plates and simple period dishes, hosted by Mistress Kiriel

March 26th – Basic History and styles of period beadwork, hosted by Alex Rapp

April 2nd – A class on period plays, hosted by Chris Struz 

By politnews | Arts & Sciences, Officers | Tagged: , , , , , , | Link

From the Seneschal – December 2013 Meeting

Hello Politarchopolis.

This will be a fairly long missive so let’s begin with the housekeeping, namely the minutes from the last Officer’s meeting.

We discussed setting a more regular meeting date and it has been decided that we will look at either 4 or 6 weekly meetings, probably on a Sunday afternoon before training and A&S. The Wednesday evening meetings have too much potential for conflicting with other hall users and we have the hall from Midday on a Sunday so there’s no real reason for not having it then. A final decision will be made at the next officers meeting and you will all be updated then.

Speaking of which the next officers meeting will be held on Sunday the 16th of Feb 2014, it was decided that due to the Christmas/New Year break a January meeting was probably pointless.

It was decided to have a Baronial planning day on January the 5th 2014 at the park next to the hall. This is an informal, picnic lunch and discussion hosted by myself and facilitated by Anne de Tournais. Essentially bring a blanket or chairs, whatever food and drink you’d like and we’ll sit around for an hour or so and talk about the barony and where we’d all like it to go. Everyone will have the same ability to talk about issues or ideas and I am sincerely hoping everyone will attend!

Finally, after a deal of research and a lot of thought it has been decided that the fee structure for the use of the Hall will change as of the 1st of January 2014. At present we pay $60 for a year. It has been decided that this will change to $30 a quarter OR $100 a year if paid up front. What this allows is access and use of the hall every Wednesday and Sunday, within the hours we hire it for. This also allows access to the storage room, use of the kitchen, toilets and as they become available other rooms within the facility. The decision to up the price wasn’t taken lightly and we are working hard to ensure that activities and facilities will be worthy of the fee.

Please note that people who do not pay the hall fee as above will still be required to pay a fee per attendance to cover the insurance. As you can see if you a regular hall user your $30 a quarter is far cheaper than paying on an ongoing basis.

As an offshoot from this, a reminder that everyone who attends and does ANY SCA type activity in the hall or in the park is required to sign the site waiver. Tyg and Wendy have been working hard to ensure all people are signing and if needed paying but it is also the responsibility of people attending to ensure they are complying with the rules. Failure to do so will result in either myself or the steward of the event asking you to leave. Stewards have a delegation from the Seneschal to exercise those powers and they will do so. This is for the benefit of the group as a whole and as the Seneschal it falls on me if something goes wrong. I would rather everyone be covered and protected.

As you may be aware there is new legislation in effect regarding the preparation of food for sale and the requirements of those people doing so. I am currently examining this and am seeking advice from the ACT government as to what we would be required to do in order to comply. I am hoping to have an answer very shortly. In the meantime I would like to ask for people who might be interested in being trained in the relevant skills and performing such a role within the group to please contact me at the seneschal’s email address.

Also I would encourage any member of the populace who teaches, whether it is fighting, archery or A&S to apply for their working with vulnerable people checks. It’s free and easy to do. At the moment I have received advice that we are exempt as we fall under the sporting groups’ classification. This however ends in November 2014 and we are going to have to comply with the legislation if we want to be able to run activities where children want to participate. Again contact me if you have any questions!

The schedule for next year is already looking wonderful. We have in no particular order 12th night, Valentines*, Border War, Canterbury Fair, Rowany Festival, St Vitus*, Midwinter Coronation*, GSG, GNW, Midwinter at the Manor*, The Polit A&S collegium*, Spring War, Fields of Gold* not to0 mention 2 Crown tourneys and another Coronation! Those events with asterisks next to them at held here in Polit and all of them promise to be fantastic. If any of you want to help the stewards for them in any way I am sure they would relish the assistance.

This New Year is also going to be replete with trainings, arts and sciences and gatherings at the Baronial level and I for one am looking forward to seeing many of you at them.

As a last piece of business let it be known that the following Officers positions are available. Chandler, Chirurgeoun, Lists and Webwright. Also in the New Year it is likely that the Marshall, Chronicler and A&S officers’ positions will become vacant. Any expressions of interest in these roles may in the first instance be sent to me and I will forward them on to the relevant Kingdom Officers with copies to the Baron and Baroness.

In closing, from myself and the rest of the Baronial officers I want to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a safe and prosperous New Year. As always I am available via email or phone should anyone wish to discuss anything, please be advised that I won’t take phone calls after 9pm.

Yours in Service

Semyon Drakon
Seneschal
Seneschal.polit@gmail.com

By politnews | Officers, Seneschal | Tagged: , , , | Link

Project: Need More Banners

Good morning!

I was having a discussion with His Excellency Master Crispin about the 10 meters of silk that I bought and put aside for the barony this year. The time has come for us to build up not only a mighty war band but to ensure that our fighters and campsite are gloriously decked in red and white silk banners.

To do this is going to require a few populace who are capable of designing the banners, a few people capable of making the wood frames, a lot of people willing to paint and hem the banners and a few people capable of making protective bags that they can be stored in.

Lastly, I’ve heard that an army is gathering in Borderscross for an assault that they plan on carrying out in Feb. It would be fitting to have our warriors and campsite banners at least partially ready by then.

If you would like to get involved, ping me and I will start up a discussion group. This should be a really fun project and should add a lot of bling to various occasions. Even if you don’t have any silk painting skill, ping me anyhow because we are happy to teach the enthusiastic. I would also like to break this into small bite sized projects so as not to overwhelm any one person :)

In service,

Lady Sophia van Dorne

politarchopolis_barony_of

By politnews | Arts & Sciences, Officers | Tagged: , , | Link

Officer’s Meeting – 11 December 2013, Ainslie Hall

Hello all.

I would like to announce an officers meeting for next Wednesday the 11th of December at 7 pm, at the Ainslie Hall. I intend to discuss a more regular schedule for meetings, modification of the hall hire fee’s and next years schedule of events. Please feel free to attend.

Semyon

Seneschal

By politnews | Officers, Seneschal | Link

A word from the new Reeve

To the people of Politarchopolis, greetings!

As your new Reeve, I would first like to join the Baron, Baroness and Seneschal by thanking my predecessor, Aeveril of Ambledune (Danni Crawford), for her amazing 7 years of baronial service. The Barony could not have done without you!.

Onto more mundane issues:  usury

Yearly hall fees are now due:
Adults – $60; Children 5-16 – $30; Children <5 – Free; Families (2 adults + many kids) – $150.
After 1st of May – $5 per session for those who haven’t paid.
The $5 for non-members rule persists. Avoid it by joining SCA Ltd here.

Financial Hardship:

Having trouble financially? Come talk to me and we can work something out case-by-case. I’m under Reeve on the Contacts page.

Internet Banking:
I like it. You’re welcome to use it – just remember to email me how much you’ve deposited, why and what reference.

The Baronial bank details are:

BSB: 012 950
Account: 2329 51024
Name: THE SOCIETY FOR CREATIVE ANACHRONISM LTD.

Incoming Tax Receipts:
They must be collected. Please don’t include personal expenses on them. This is all for GST.

Outgoing Tax Receipts:
Ask and thou shalt receive, but I won’t be writing them up for you unless you ask. (Don’t stress about corporate requirements – I’ll still be recording all transactions as required under the accounting standards.)

Thanks folks!

~Eberhard

 

By politnews | Officers | Tagged: , , , , , | Link